Thursday, August 18, 2011

Some-Kinda-Nut Burgers

I have to start this post off by saying I'm not happy with the photo of the burgers. It does not do justice to how yummy they actually were. So I apologize for that. 
I know- they look ridiculous. 
Now, there are few things I love more than veggie burgers. It's kind of a vegetarian/vegan cliche, but I always loved them even back when I ate meat, so it's fun to be able to make a really yummy cruelty-free version. 


The other day as I was browsing VegNews Magazine's website, I noticed a comment by one of the readers who said Robin Robertson was their favorite veggie cookbook author. I've always been obsessed with anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (if you haven't checked out her blog, head here), so I was a bit curious to see what I was missing. 


I downloaded '1000 Vegan Recipes' (I actually made it un-vegan, because I added an egg!) to my iPad and quickly decided on this nut burger. Unlike many veggie burgers, it's not tofu or bean based. It mostly consists of oats, carrots and nuts and is different, but really good. It's filling and goes great with a salad, and is super easy to make. 


Some-Kinda-Nut Burgers Recipe
Adapted from '1000 Vegan Recipes' by Robin Robertson
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
1 cup mixed nuts
1 egg
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
fresh ground pepper
The patty mixture before processing. 


Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil and saute the onions till soft. Stir in the carrot. 
2. Pulse the nuts until chopped in a food processor, and then add the onion-carrot mixture with the flour, oats, peanut butter, parsley and pepper. 
3. Break into patties and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, flipping once, until brownish on top. 


I also made a simple white sauce to spread on top consisting of yogurt and tabasco. With a few jalapenos, these were a quick and filling dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!