Sunday, August 21, 2011

Green Goddess Dressing

The other day I was invited to a dinner party and was asked to make a salad and dessert. The dessert was not a success (it was a battle between me and the diabetic sugar, and the sugar won), but the salad dressing was definitely good enough to distract everyone
So delicious! 
I had been wanting to try making goddess dressing for a while. For those who don't know, goddess dressing was created in 1923 at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco (shout-out, hometown!) and usually consists of a combination of mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, parsley, tarragon, lemon juice, oil. 


I wanted to make a non-mayonnaise, healthier version and was pleased to find a recipe in the new book I've been perusing on my iPad ('1000 Vegan Recipes'). 


This dressing is so good that I actually had to leave the original batch at home with my sister and roommate (because they went nuts over it) and make another jar for the party. Before I left the house, I noticed my sister enjoying it with celery sticks; my roommate opted to spread some on a piece of bread and add a few slices of cheese on top. I can imagine this dressing spicing up many dishes. If you choose to keep it thicker, it's more like a dip. I watered it down a bit for the salad. 


Green Goddess Dressing
Taken from Robin Robertson's '1000 Vegan Recipes' 
Makes about 1 cup
2 garlic cloves
2 green onions
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon chives
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt
pepper


Just some of the ingredients. 
Blend all the ingredients in a food processor. Keeps for up to 3 days in the fridge. I substituted champagne vinegar for the tarragon vinegar, because I didn't have any on hand. 


This is one of the best dressings I have ever tasted! Even my roommate who usually doesn't like anything with more than 3 ingredients loved it. Try it tonight. You won't be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!