Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies 2 Ways

Even though I've been struggling with a nasty bout of the stomach flu, I still wanted to get some recipes up for you guys. I'm heading south tomorrow and know I won't be able to post as often. 
Make sure to use a cooling rack. 
Last week I attended a barbecue and was asked to make a dessert. I originally wanted to make cupcakes, but then my sister reminded me that the frosting would probably melt in the insanely hot weather we've been suffering from lately. I figured cookies would be easy to transport and delicious despite the 100 degree weather. 

I wanted to make oatmeal cookies with a kick. So I adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. 

I made two batches. The first batch had dark chocolate (1/2 cup) and raisins (1/4 cup), while the second batch had white chocolate (1/2 cup), cranberries (1/4 cup) and a handful of pecans. Other than that, I followed the recipe to a T. (I also made a batch of sugar-free cookies using diabetic sugar, and despite the fact that my boyfriend liked them, I don't recommend using diabetic sugar. They didn't brown as much as they do with brown sugar. Duh.) 

Moist and yummy. 
Be careful with the cooking time here. Mine only took 8 minutes to bake, while Deb on Smitten Kitchen said hers took 10 to 12 minutes. It really varies depending on how big or small your cookies are. Take them out when they are light brown around the edges but still soft in the center

I thought the white chocolate cranberry cookies were to die for, and I don't even like white chocolate that much. Try both and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!