Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How to: Roasted Beets

I've started this series of 'how to's and noticed the first two are both about roasting. However, roasting red bell peppers is very different from roasting beets, so I thought it might be helpful to some novice cooks. 
Look at those gorgeous babies!


Roasted beets are deeeeelish-ious! If you haven't tried them, you must (although if you haven't, you probably live under a rock, so you might not have access to them). I love them sliced over salad, or added to a veg sandwich. They go great with creamy white cheeses like goat cheese and feta. They love to be paired with a nice balsamic vinaigrette, too. 


A little disclaimer before I get to the directions: This is how I roast beets. It's not necessarily the exact perfect way to. I think I might even combine two methods, but the important thing is that it works. 


So here goes: 
Step 1: Remove the stems and wash the beets. Dry them thoroughly. Heat the oven to 400°F. 


Step 2: Cover the beets in olive oil and wrap them in aluminum foil, individually. 


Step 3: Place them in an oven-safe dish, with 2 inches of water in it. 


Step 4: Bake them until the beets give when poked with a knife. 


Step 5: After allowing to cool, remove the tougher skin with your hands under running water (the water will prevent your hands from getting stained red). The skins should slip off easily. 


Step 6: Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!