Monday, February 28, 2011

EatingWell's 5 tips to control your cravings

Here's an interesting article from Nikki Micco, Editor at Large for EatingWell Magazine, on controlling your cravings. 


I've had a few recent run-ins with dark-chocolate M&Ms. Here's what happens: I'll grab a few of the candies then sit down at my computer to meet a writing deadline. Type a few words, then walk back the cabinet for more M&Ms. Two sentences. Three M&Ms. The more difficult the subject matter, the less I'm able to focus on writing and the more overwhelming is the pull of the M&Ms.
In the March/April issue of EatingWell, science writer Rachael Moeller Gorman tackles the topic of food addiction -- the idea that food can overtake the same brain circuits involved in drug and alcohol addictions. Could I be addicted to chocolate? I could be: people who chronically crave food aren’t so different from people who suffer drug or alcohol addiction, say some experts, including Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
But I’m not addicted to chocolate. For me, overeating M&Ms is situational—the latest manifestation of a chronic procrastination problem that gets worse when I’m under the gun and low on sleep. And, in fact, dealing with issues like stress and too little sleep can help “cure” food cravings, Volkow told Gorman recently. Try these tips to help you stave off overeating*:
Anticipate moments of weakness. “You preset yourself [to say], no matter what, you’re not going to allow yourself to be tempted by the food,” says Volkow. “It’s much easier to control your urges if you do it beforehand than if they take you by surprise.” For example, if you tend to binge on candy while working at your computer, cut up melon and keep it on your desk so you’re less likely to visit the vending machine...
To continue reading this article... huffingtonpost.com
Article taken from The Huffington Post website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!