Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Eggs in tomato sauce

This breakfast recipe is so so yummy. It's a bit like shakshuka, which is a Middle Eastern dish of eggs poached in a tomato sauce with peppers and spices. The main difference is that I didn't use peppers, but you could. What's strange is that even though it uses the same ingredients as Turkish menemen, it doesn't taste like that at all. Maybe because of the omission of feta and green peppers...Either way you must try this breakfast dish immediately.


I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen as inspiration. Instead of sautéing garlic though, I sautéed some onions. We also didn't have any Parmesan cheese so we used some cheddar we had lying around. I should have added the cheese earlier so it would have melted into the eggs, but we were too hungry to wait. With a side of sautéed spinach, this was the perfect breakfast. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!