Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Healthy Tip: Make Your Breakfast The Night Before

Of all the weight loss excuses, I think the most common one would have to be, 'I don't have time'. I don't have time to workout. I don't have time to eat healthy. I don't have time to grocery shop/cook/walk etc. And before I started grad school, I didn't really understand how you couldn't take 10 minutes a day to prep some veggies or prepare a simple meal for yourself. But now, I get it. It's not about not having the time, it's that you'd rather spend that time relaxing/watching your favorite show/being with your family etc./playing with your cat/drinking etc. 


I feel like 80% of losing weight and staying in shape is about making it a priority. Do you really not have ten minutes to chop some veggies to snack on later? Or is it that you'd rather spend those 10 minutes reading a magazine? If it's the latter, be honest with yourself and accept that fact. It's ok. But at least then you will realize that you chose to read that magazine instead of going for a brisk walk around the block- catch my drift?


I have early morning classes three times a week and I am not a morning person by any means. I have had trouble sleeping for the past few months and without my coffee (yes, I am addicted) I simply cannot focus that early in the morning. I usually end up rushing to class, sweaty and hungry. Not my style. I like to plan and being that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, starting it off with an energy bar is no fun. 


This makes enough for two breakfasts, or if I'm starving...


One thing that works wonderfully for me is to prepare my breakfast the night before. I was just laying in bed watching 'The Biggest Loser' (I'm obsessed, and cry every episode) when I thought to this morning and how I ate this disgusting energy bar (it was called 'Think Thin'- never again) before class because I was rushed. I imagined it happening again tomorrow morning and forced myself out of bed to prepare breakfast. It might sound ridiculous but. it. works.


When you prepare your breakfast the night before whether it be hard-boiling a few eggs, preparing some oatmeal with blueberries, brown sugar and chopped walnuts or sauteeing some tofu, mushrooms and red peppers for a tofu scramble (what I just did), you know it's taken care of and you can have something to look forward to in the morning. I also think starting the day with a home-cooked meal, even if it's rushed, is a great way to start the day. Especially if you've made it for yourself. Why? Because you are showing yourself that you care about you! That your health is a priority and that you are making smart choices for yourself. That might sound cheesy but it works for me. 


Honestly, it took ten minutes and doesn't that look amazing? Plus, a tofu scramble is about half the calories of any energy bar out there and probably not even a third of the fat. I'll add the nutritional info later, but for now, it's back to my 'Biggest Loser'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!