Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vegan Cupcakes with Cinnamon Glaze

I've started getting back into more vegan baking and cooking in the last few weeks. I definitely go back and forth. There are times when I feel like an egg is simply necessary for my baking endeavors and as has happened recently, times when I feel like there is really no need since so many amazing vegan baking recipes exist. I'd like to not make a habit out of always cooking the traditional way. I like to mix things up and see what works and what doesn't. For me, the kitchen is always a place of experimentation. 


A few weeks ago I baked up a batch of Jess' Vegan French Toast Cupcakes. Jess is a vegan blogger who I've sort of become friends with online. She's very creative and always makes the most delicious (but easy!) looking recipes. She is one of those vegans that creates such impressive dishes that it makes you wonder why we need animal products at all. I urge you to check out her blog, Cupcakes and Kale, here




I followed the recipe to a T and they were really delicious. Moist and light, just the way I like them. I didn't want to layer on the frosting, so I made half the amount in Jess' recipe and used it as a light glaze instead. Because I didn't have maple extract, I used a few tablespoons of maple syrup, tasting as I went, until the frosting was the desired sweetness. 


These turned out really brilliant and I recommend you give 'em a whirl the next time you decide to make cupcakes. And if you have yet to try out a vegan cupcake recipe, please believe me when I say, what are you waiting for!? They are just as tasty and lower in cholesterol because of the absence of eggs. Plus cruelty free. 


Oh and on a non-cooking blog related note: 
look what came in the mail! Excited! 


Ps: Does anyone know where I can watch Food Network shows online? I don't have cable and they aren't available for purchase on iTunes. It really bums me out. I miss the Barefoot Contessa. 

3 comments:

  1. looks like they turned out really well esen! and thank you for the kind words. those just filled up my heart. xo

    ps - vip tix to coachella???!! how the?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, im glad:)

    re: the tickets! i know! insane. gift from my parents:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esen'cigim,

    You can find Barefoot Contessa episode on the link below.
    I like her show a lot too.
    Enjoy!

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/episode_archive/0,1904,FOOD_32078_222,00.html

    ReplyDelete

My awesome followers!