Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cookbook Review: Chloe's Kitchen

As a vegetarian who tries to eat mostly vegan at home, I rely heavily on cookbooks by creative vegan chefs. However, there is nothing more frustrating than purchasing one and realizing most of the recipes are long and complicated or require an endless list of 'use-once' ingredients. Chloe Coscarelli's new cookbook, Chloe's Kitchen, is not like this. In fact, after only a week I can confidently say it's going to go into regular rotation in my home. 

There are a few rockstars of the vegan cooking world. Isa Chandra Moskowitz, known for the vegan cooking bible 'Veganomicon', and her many delightful baking books ('Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World', 'Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar', etc.), Erin McKenna of Babycakes fame ('Babycakes', 'Babycakes Covers the Classics') and Colleen Patrick-Goudreau ('The Vegan Table', 'Joy of Vegan Baking') are just a few. Though still young and having only just published her first vegan cookbook, I know Chloe will make a perfect addition to this list. 

Why am I so confident? Well in just under a week I have already cooked 4 recipes from Chloe's book, all of which were fantastic. Plus, in case you didn't know, Chloe is the first winner of The Food Network's Cupcake Wars, and she competed against non-vegan bakers, proving once and for all that no one needs eggs to make a perfect cupcake. 

So far I have made her Falafel Sliders with Avocado Hummus and Tahini Sauce along with her Sea Salt Toffee Bars for three of my omni (veggie slang for omnivore;)) friends, and they loved both recipes. I also made her Fettucine Alfredo (with my favorite Shirataki noodles subbed in for the fettuccine) for myself one night, and the delicious Cheesy Broccoli Soup. I made slight modifications to each recipe, which I think means I can share them on here...

Recipe will be posted soon!

For now, all you need to know is that Chloe's cookbook is a wonderful contribution to any chef's bookshelf and great for omnis and vegans alike. One of the best parts? Almost every recipe has a gorgeous photo, which is something I value in a good cookbook. If I don't know what the final product looks like, why bother, right? 

If you are looking for some inspiration to eat more plant-based, this cookbook is just what you need to get you there. Kudos to Chloe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!