Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Banana Soft Serve, 2 Variations

Hey there! It's been a while! No excuses, I've just been busy. 

Bloggers tend to read other blogs and get inspired for ideas from what others are making. I'm no exception. I've read about a homemade raw, vegan banana ice cream/frozen yogurt on a few blogs for a while now and wanted to try it. But then I thought, 'banana ice cream? meh, not so much'. Turns out this easy one-step yogurt is amazing, healthy and so easy. I know, I said that, but for real. 

Plus, for some reason the banana-ness of it is not overpowering, considering that it basically only consists of bananas. Now, I'm starting to sound crazy so I'll tell you the secret: you freeze a bunch of bananas. Throw them in the food processor. Add a dash or non-dairy (or dairy) milk, and give it a whirl. After a few minutes of processing you'll have the most amazing frozen banana yogurt ever. And it's guilt-free as well. I will be making this all the time from now on. 

Sometimes the simplest ideas really are the most brilliant!

The coolest part is that it is pretty easily customizable. I added some cinnamon on top but later I started thinking of tons of fun ways to jazz it up. You could add some nut butter for a peanut butter banana version or cocoa for a chocolate version. You could probably add a date or two to make it extra sweet and some other frozen fruits if you wanted. 

Banana Soft Serve
Serves 2
2-3 frozen bananas
a dash of non-dairy milk
cinnamon

Place all ingredients in food processor and allow to mix for a few minutes until a creamy consistency is achieved. 

I must be honest, if this recipe weren't so delicious, I'd be a bit embarrassed coming to you after weeks of absence with this no-work, no-frills recipe. But it's really that good. So get to it. 


Chocolate Hazelnut Version



This version I created the other night and it's infinitely better than the one above. Since a few of you asked for the recipe, here it is! I can't explain how this has changed my life. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but this actually tastes like real frozen yogurt. 


Makes 1 serving
1 frozen banana
1 tsp hazelnut butter (or whatever nut butter you have)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 drop vanilla extract


Place ingredients in a food processor. Let work for at least 5 minutes, or until a creamy consistency occurs. Enjoy with crushed hazelnuts on top, or plain. That's it! Easy peasy and so good. 

2 comments:

  1. just made this with chocolate chips and coconut sprinkles the other night and it was INCREDIBLE. thank you for giving me an alternative to ice cream!!

    also, it was funny because the simple way of doing this is to peel the banana BEFORE you freeze it. but of course, i did it completely the retarded way and threw the banana and worried about peeling it after its been frozen like a rock.
    won'T happen again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it Lara! That variation sounds fantastic!

    I know, the first time I made it I also forgot to peel the banana first! But I found that running it under warm water makes it easier to remove the peel:)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Esen

    ReplyDelete

My awesome followers!