Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Easy Basic Salad Dressing

This has been one of those weeks full of cooking, but none of it particularly good. 


I made black bean burgers last night, and they weren't that great. We ate them, but definitely not worth sharing the recipe. 


Then I also made pumpkin bread yesterday using this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Deb is usually super reliable, but this just didn't come out right. I used a new sugar-free sweetener, and as usual, used half as much as I normally do with Splenda, but this time it was not sweet enough. I made three mini-loaves and added a little sugar-free maple syrup to one of them at the last minute, and that one turned out the best. Either way, I need to play with the recipe more before posting. 


Here I will share my favorite salad dressing recipe. It is so, so simple I don't even know if it needs its own post; however, my friends have asked what I put in my dressing before so I thought I'd go ahead and share it anyway. Also, it makes a lot of sense to make a big batch of this and keep it in a jar in the fridge, ready for whenever the mood strikes. 


Easy Basic Salad Dressing
Makes 3/4 cup
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil, preferably cold-pressed, extra virgin
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1-2 tsp mustard, preferably dijon
salt and pepper to taste


Directions: Add equal parts lemon juice and olive oil, or if like me, you like your dressing more tart than oily, add more lemon juice than oil. Add mustard and whisk. The mustard emulsifies the oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper. 


There is nothing to this dressing. It's super easy to make, takes only a few minutes, but it's so yummy. I love my dressing with minced garlic but the key is to make sure the garlic is very, very finely minced, lest one of your dinner guest's bite down on a chunk of raw garlic! 
Also, the mustard gives just the right amount of punch to the dressing. I love to serve this over an arugula salad, whose peppery notes work well with this dressing. 


Make a bunch in advance and keep in the fridge for up to a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!