Sunday, October 16, 2011

Getting off Track

Sometimes no matter how hard you try, it's impossible to stick to a regular workout schedule. 


As you guys may remember, I signed up to run a 10K in Brooklyn on Saturday, the 22nd of October. Being that it will be my second race ever and my first race in New York, I was beyond excited. I printed out a training plan and stuck to it religiously for 4 weeks. 


Unfortunately, I had to fly to Istanbul for a family emergency at the last minute and my training was derailed. I tried my hardest while there to work out, but some days I wasn't emotionally up for it (even though the endorphins would have made me feel better). 


Then, upon returning to New York, I got sick! For the last 4 days I have been in bed, sick with the flu, barely able to get up, let alone work out. I know some people push through the pain and workout while sick, but that's not my style. Especially since I have a very special house guest arriving tonight, I was focused on getting better as soon as possible. 


I'm finally better but the race is less than a week away. I figured some of you out there may face a similar situation, so this is how I decided that, yes, I will still race. 


1. Are you in good shape?
I am in good shape and work out regularly. Though I have never ran a 10K, I have run 6 miles before (even 7-8 miles), so it shouldn't be too difficult for me. 
2. Am I doing this for fun or to set a PR (personal record)? 
Being that I don't care much about PRs and don't regularly record my times, it doesn't matter how long it takes me to complete the race. For me, running is fun and a great way to stay in shape, so I have to remember this when competing. 
3. Am I okay with walking some of it? 
YES! It is okay to walk sometimes. I am stubborn and often get in the mindset of not wanting to 'ruin' a run with some walking, but this time around, I might have to. Actually, I probably will have to, and that's ok. It doesn't mean you didn't finish the race! 


So all these reasons and the fact that I haven't raced in a year led me to my decision to compete anyway. 


I don't have a lot of time left, so I threw out my old training plan and am going to try to get in one long run (Tuesday, 4-5 miles) before the race on Saturday. Today I ran 3 miles, after 5 days off so it's not bad. And tomorrow I plan to strength train (weights) and cross train (elliptical). Also, keep in mind that taking the two days off prior to your race is super important! Just as important as training, so don't ignore it. 


I'll let you know how it goes. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!