Monday, October 10, 2011

Amazing Vegan Chili

For the last ten days I've been in Istanbul with family. Seeing as my sister and I moved out of our place there, I didn't have a space to cook and unfortunately (fortunately?) ate out a lot while there. 

I do love to eat out and try new restaurants but I really can't go more than two or three days before I crave a nice, home-cooked meal. Thankfully, I got to enjoy some of those as well while in Istanbul, but I'm excited to be back at home and in my kitchen this week. I plan on making lots of yummy stuff and not eating out till the weekend hopefully, so I should have some fun recipes for you guys. 

One of my favorite dishes to make is a big ol' pot of chili. Chili is super easy to make, doesn't take a lot of time and gets better the longer it sits in the fridge, in my opinion! The flavors meld together and the quick addition of some fresh ingredients like cilantro* and avocado make it feel like it was cooked that day. 

I mentioned that I purchased the Happy Herbivore cookbook a while ago and I've been super impressed with all the recipes I've tried since. The best part is that most of the recipes are low fat or even  fat-free and you can't tell at all! Trust me, the author Lindsay did a great job and you won't be disappointed. 
Look at all those great colors!

Unfortunately it turns out I can't actually copy the recipe here, so my apologies and from now on I'll only recreate recipes that are printed somewhere else online from now on or that I have permission to reprint. If you do happen to want to check out the book, it's available on Amazon here and the recipe is on page 81. 

I omitted the textured vegetable protein (TVP) because I don't like it very much. Feels too artificial to me and I knew it would be great without it (and kinder on my stomach!). However, this meant that the broth should have probably been reduced a bit, seeing as most of the broth is meant to rehydrate the TVP. Having said that, it was amazing as is, but next time, I might reduce the broth by 1/2 cup (depends how soupy you like your chili). 

I added some diced avocado, cilantro and hot sauce and it was the perfect meal. I served it over spinach the second time I ate it and it was even better! 

Keep in mind this is a great dish to make and enjoy all week, for those that don't have a lot of time to cook every day. 

*I recently read an interesting article that says cilantro love or hate may actually be genetic! I'm one of the lovers, but interesting to know either way! 


  1. Thanks! GREAT recipe.
    Excited to try more!


  2. Another justification of my cliantrophobia


  3. heheheh:) seninkine henuz bakamadim! su an bakicam!



My awesome followers!