Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Daily Green Smoothie

Almost every health book I've read in the last year has had a chapter on green smoothies or green juices. Traditional juices aren't so great for you because they are chock-full of sugar and usually without the fiber normally present in fruit. A glass a day is fine, but more than that, and you may find yourself putting on unwanted pounds. 

However, green juices made from spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, parsley etc. and are a different story. They are a great way to get tons of micronutrients in one go, and have even helped a bunch of people lose tons of weight (check out the documentary 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' if interested). Having a green juice a day is a great way to get your greens in without having to prepare a huge salad; especially if you're someone always on the go. 

I was enjoying green juices for a while, but often wondered if green smoothies would be a better option, considering that smoothies contain the fiber in the vegetables/fruit, while the juices remove it. I started experimenting with different recipes and have found my favorite green smoothie recipe. My sister and I have been enjoying them every morning for breakfast. It's a great 'first thing' to put into your body, as the greens are super alkalizing (acid vs. alkaline has to do with the pH of your body; the lower the pH of your body, the more diseases can occur. Meat and dairy are very acidic as is alcohol and coffee).  If I'm still hungry after, I'll have something small like sauteed spinach and mushrooms or a tofu scramble. However, surprisingly, this smoothie keeps me pretty full for a few hours without weighing me down. I've become totally addicted and feel weird on mornings when I don't get the chance to make it. 

Blenders can be a pain to clean, but the nice thing about smoothies is that you can make a double batch and enjoy the second half the next day. Of course, the quicker you consume it, the better. 

The hemp and chia seeds provide tons of protein and essential fats. 

Ultimate Green Smoothie
Serves 2
1 banana
2 handfuls spinach
2 handfuls romaine lettuce
3 small Persian cucumbers
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon maca powder
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 cup filtered cold water 

Blend it all up and enjoy. This recipe can be played with endlessly; this morning I subbed the banana for frozen sour cherries. Some mornings I'll add in some parsley, or leave out the cucumbers. All depends on what I have on hand. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, love it! Thanks a lot Esen!!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

My awesome followers!