Friday, March 18, 2011

Sugar-free granola bars

I love granola bars. 
But most of them are way too sweet for me and much too calorie-dense for a snack if you ask me. 


That's why when Itaintmeatbabe's Jennifer posted a recipe for homemade granola bars with no added sugar, I knew I had to try it.  


Of course I played with the recipe a fair amount. I didn't want to use dates because my fiance is a Type 1 diabetic and can't have dried fruit (the sugar in them is astronomical, even if it is all natural). I also added some chia seeds because I had some lying around and I love them. Oh, and I added some almond butter, but to be honest you can't taste it much. 


As always, my prime taste tester, my sister, thought they weren't sweet enough. I'm still getting used to using Stevia and am always afraid of using too much, but next time I would double the amount of sweetener


All in all, it's a super easy and healthy recipe that I think we'll enjoy munching on in Bodrum, where we are heading tomorrow evening. A few friends are joining us for a weekend away and I'm quite looking forward to it. I miss being in nature and need a break from the city. 


Speaking of, while I'm there I'm sure we'll be cooking a fair amount at home, so hopefully I'll have some recipes for you guys when I get back. 


Also next week I'll be taking my second class at Mutfak Sanatlar Akademisi, a bread-making course, which I'm really looking forward to, and I hope it will be better than the cake-making class. 


Sugar-free almond granola bars


3 cups rolled oats
¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
½ cup almond butter
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tablespoon stevia sweetener (next time will use 1 tbsp, at least)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon soy creamer
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp warm water
2 1/2 cups organic soy milk
sliced almonds for topping

Directions: 
Heat oven to 350° (176° C). Combine flaxseed and warm water in a bowl. Let sit and then add almond butter, vanilla, soy milk and soy creamer. 

In another larger bowl, combine oats, chia seeds, walnuts, cinnamon, stevia and salt. 

Combine wet with dry and pour into a parchment-paper lined baking dish. 

Bake for an hour (or until bars appear cooked through). 

I quite liked this recipe, but if you prefer sweeter treats, you might want to add the dried fruits or even chocolate chips or something. 
Also, the soy creamer is not really necessary so if you don't have it, you can leave it out. 

I do think that these would make a nice pre-run snack...

I'll have a photo tomorrow morning, as it's dark out now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!