And they are good for you as well.
Seriously, I don't get overly enthusiastic like this often (well, maybe I do). But these muffins are miraculous because they are very healthy and deelish.
The recipe is a riff on one of Itaintmeatbabe's vegan oatmeal muffin recipes, but I modified it to make it much healthier. Basically, there is only 1 tablespoon of oil in the entire thing, no sugar whatsoever and it's half whole wheat. And I added a bunch of add-ins like yummy cranberries and walnuts.
makes 8 muffins
1 cup of raisin bran cereal (or oats or All-bran or any bran-y cereal)
1 cup of soy milk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1 tablespoon oil
1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
1/4 cup cranberries
Heat oven to 300° F (148° C).
1. Combine the flax seed mixture with the cereal and allow to sit.
2. Combine and sift the dry ingredients (don't worry if the whole wheat doesn't sift completely, just dump the remaining bits into the mixture).
3. Mash the banana, milk and oil together.
4. Add the banana mixture to the dry mixture, combine and fold in the cereal mixture.
5. Sprinkle the crushed walnuts and cranberries over the mixture.
6. Do not overmix (overmixing will result in a rough texture).
Place by heaping spoonful into a pre-greased muffin tin or into muffin liners.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Also, my sister thinks these will be great with a thick glob of almond butter, and I have to agree.
for 1 muffin
Total fat 5.9 g
Sat fat .6 g
Protein 4.6 g
Fiber 3.9 g
(The fat and sugar are from the cereal; there is no added sugar or fat)