Thursday, January 19, 2012

No Oil Split Pea Soup

I'm back in New York but extremely jet-lagged and don't even feel like I should be blogging right now because I probably won't make any sense. I didn't get any sleep last night so I feel loopy. 


However, I immediately went grocery shopping and whipped up this delicious, healthy, no oil split pea soup so I'd have something to warm me up this week. 


I love split pea soup because you don't have to use much (or any) oil for the soup to become really creamy and indulgent tasting. And the main ingredient (the peas) can come from your freezer, so it's an easy thing to make without having lots of fresh ingredients on hand. I've never made this with fresh peas but I can imagine it would be even more yummy. 


Sorry for the photo! My camera's broken. 
The whole 'no oil' thing might worry some of you, but honestly you can't tell at all. I feel like I should do a blind taste test to prove it, but maybe just trust me on this one. If you'd like, feel free to sauté the onions in a teaspoon or two of oil, but I'd recommend trying it this way first. 


No Oil Split Pea Soup
Serves 7
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers website
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bunch leeks, cleaned and chopped*
2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
1 bag frozen peas (16 oz)
1 no-chickn' bouillon cube
4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste


For yogurt topping:
1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
2 tbsp chopped dill
salt and pepper to taste


Directions: Saute the onions in a thin layer of water until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the leeks, potatoes, bouillon cube and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the peas and cook for a few more minutes. Meanwhile mix the ingredients for the yogurt topping and set aside. Puree the soup once it has cooled a bit. Serve soup with a dollop of yogurt topping. 


*Be careful with leeks, as they tend to hide a lot of sand within them. I recommend chopping, then running under lots of cold water. 


Nutrition Information: 
Calories: 106 
Fat: .9g
Carbs: 19.8g
Protein: 5.3g

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!