Sunday, December 11, 2011

My Eggs Florentine

If I'm not mistaken, Eggs Florentine consists of poached eggs, spinach and smoked salmon. Or a variation of those ingredients. Well, this morning I woke up starving and needed something heartier than my usual english muffin with peanut butter. 


I headed down to Whole Foods and picked up some smoked salmon, egg whites and feta, along with some fruit to snack on for later. 


One of the key factors to putting out a great breakfast is timing. I guess this applies to any meal but I feel it's particularly important with breakfast. There's the coffee, the eggs, the bread being toasted- and if you don't pace yourself, you could end up with overcooked eggs, untoasted bread and no coffee to serve. 




Here's what I do:
1. Start boiling your water for your coffee if you use a French Press like me. 
2. Make sure all your ingredients are prepped for your eggs. So if you need chopped onions or shredded cheese or whatever, do this first. 
3. If you toast your bread in a panini maker like me, turn that on. If not, no worries here. 
4. Start cooking your eggs only if you begin with onions or by sautéing veggies. This morning I began by sautéing spinach, so I threw that into the pan (without the eggs!). 
5. Once the veggies are almost done, and you are ready to add the eggs, toast your bread. 
6. Your water should be boiled by now, so prepare your coffee and allow to sit. French press coffee should sit for at least 5 minutes before you serve. 
7. By now your bread should be just about toasted, so add the eggs! This should always be the last step. Watch them carefully and turn off the stove with a minute to spare as the eggs will continue cooking after the stove is turned off. Now, add the cheese if you like. The eggs will melt the cheese. 


Voila! Everything should be ready to serve according to this time table. However, maybe you have different steps or more dishes. Like maybe you serve your breakfast with bacon or whatever. What this really comes down to is practice! You'll get the hang of it and soon enough have your own process. 


My Eggs Florentine
Serves 1
Egg whites equivalent to 2 eggs*
1 cup frozen spinach
1/8 cup crumbled feta
1/2 oz smoked salmon
1 slice toasted whole wheat bread
Spray olive oil


Directions: Saute the spinach in olive oil. Add the eggs, give a quick mix and allow to cook for a few minutes. Turn off the stove and add the cheese. Prepare by placing the smoked salmon on the toasted bread. Add the eggs on top. 


The most filling and delicious breakfast ever! This clocks in at around 200 calories, but with over 20g protein, it'll keep you full till your next meal. 


*Why do I use egg whites? Well, we have cholesterol in my family and honestly, I'd rather use those calories and cholesterol towards my cheese! Occasionally, I'll have normal eggs but since I eat egg whites rather frequently at home, I usually leave out the yolks. That's where all the calories and cholesterol is. And some would argue, the flavor;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!