Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Current Obsession: Maria & Ricardo's Tortillas

One of my favorite things to make when I'm crunched for time is a delicious whole wheat tortilla stuffed with whatever I have in the fridge. Whether it be roasted vegetables, the remains of a salad or even just basic canned beans and avocado, a tortilla is the perfect way to make a meal out of leftover food


Obviously altered with Instagram.
However, some of the tortillas out there can really pack on the pounds. I've seen ones the size of a dinner plate and if flour-based (instead of corn), they can be more than 150 calories. 


The logo, so you can recognize them at the store.
So when I stumbled upon 'Maria and Ricardo's FiberRich Whole Wheat Tortillas' the other day at Whole Foods, I was excited and knew I'd found a new staple for my kitchen. 


At only 45 calories a piece, with 4 grams of protein, and zero sugar, they are the perfect healthy tortilla. I have been using them nonstop recently- for wrapping scrambled egg whites topped with some salsa, a Mexican take with refried beans, Daiya cheese and lettuce and even for making a low-calorie mini pizza.


The mini pizza was delicious! I spread some tomato sauce on the tortilla, topped with a few pieces of roasted garlic, red onion, Daiya cheese and popped it in the oven, at 450 degrees. After about 8 minutes the tortilla was firm and crispy and the cheese was melted. I added a bunch of arugula on top and it was perfection, and for only about 100 calories. 


My boyfriend's version. 


I definitely recommend these tortillas but as Maria & Ricardo's have a ton of different kinds make sure to pick up the whole wheat ones and the 6" ones, as they also have them in 10" and 12" sizes. 


Let me know if you come up with some fun ways to use these as well. I'm always looking for new ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!