Monday, July 11, 2011

Chocolate fudge

Okay, so if you take a look at my past blog posts, you'll probably notice that I tend to post one healthy post and one indulgent one. Maybe this means you can't necessarily call my blog a 'healthy living blog' but I'd like to disagree. First of all, everyone has to indulge once in a while. Second of all, just because I am baking these delicious things, doesn't mean I encourage eating all of it! I like to make naughty things and share with my friends, which is why I usually bake treats for special dinners or vacation. Thirdly, I personally believe desserts that you make at home are much healthier than ones you buy at the store because you know exactly what goes into it, and it's free of preservatives. 

Don't forget the parchment paper!



So, let's get to it. I was in Bodrum in the south of Turkey a week ago and wanted to bake something for my friends, but couldn't even imagine turning on the oven in the 100 degree weather. I searched online and found this 'no-bake chocolate cake' recipe from 101cookbooks and knew it would be perfect. Although, to be honest, it's more of a fudge. 


However, as is often the case when baking in Turkey, I wasn't able to find heavy cream at the local store. So I thought mascarpone would make a great substitute. My friend Can who is a great cook himself recommended I add a little milk into the mascarpone to mimic the consistency of heavy cream. Worked like a charm. 


One of the best things about this recipe besides the fact that it requires no baking is the fact that it's so rich, you really only need a tiny piece. A little goes a long way here. Also, you can really add in any spices that you want. 


Deelish!
I made it just as Heidi from 101cookbooks recommends- by infusing the mascarpone with espresso and all spice


Finally, I used sugar-free chocolate and it still turned out great. Sugar-free chocolate doesn't bake that well so this recipe is really perfect for chocoholics who can't have sugar. 


Note: This dessert is incredibly decadent so I recommend serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or with coffee to cut the richness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!