Thursday, September 13, 2012

Easy Heirloom Tomato Salad

Part of the reason I haven't been around with many recipes is because summer just doesn't require overly complicated dishes. With stunning farmers market ingredients, you can put together a delicious meal without a lot of bells and whistles. 

This summer tomato salad is just one such dish. I've been trying to eat as many tomatoes as humanely possible recently, trying to get my fill before fall comes and the tomatoes disappear. This salad I threw together the other day was just perfect. Easy, no fuss, but delicious. 

Since I've been trying to stay away from dairy as much as possible (one week without dairy and my skin clears right up!), I tossed in some cubed firm tofu for some protein. I was skeptical of how the flavors would meld but tofu is a blank slate and thanks to all the other strong flavors (basil, onions, balsamic), the tofu ended up almost mimicking a mild mozzarella


East Heirloom Tomato Salad
Serves 1
2-3 heirloom tomatoes, the more colorful, the better, cubed
1/2 cup firm tofu, cubed
1/4 avocado, cubed 
1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
handful of basil, sliced thinly
handful of spinach, sliced thinly

For the dressing:
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp red wine vinegar

Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together and set aside. Combine all the ingredients for the salad and serve with the dressing. This salad actually tastes better after sitting for a few minutes because the tofu has a chance to absorb all the flavors, so don't hesitate to make ahead of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!