Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

I haven't been around much lately because I was recently admitted to the Masters Program of Clinical Nutrition at New York University- my first choice! I am incredibly excited and feel so blessed to be able to pursue my passion. Classes have started and I already have a lot of coursework and reading so I haven't been around to dedicate much time to the blog. 
Nerdy 'proud NYU' photo. 

I'm taking an Intro to Nutrition course and an Intro to Food Sciences course (which is basically all cooking techniques), so rest assured that now I will be more reliable than before when it comes to my nutrition facts! 

Last night I was exhausted from class and baking has always been one of my favorite ways to unwind. There's something about measuring ingredients and mixing batter that really relaxes me. I headed to the kitchen and whipped up a batch of mini whole wheat blueberry muffins. I'm warning you, do not attempt these unless you like 'healthy' tasting things. I have come to realize that I often prefer the taste of whole wheat, low sugar treats, but most people aren't used to it. 

I have a girlfriend staying with my right now and she said they tasted 'healthy' so I wanted to mention that before getting to the recipe. I think they are super yummy! They are very low in calories, fat and sugar (devoid of white sugar, in fact). They are totally whole wheat, have only have 2 tablespoons oil and are chock-full of blueberries. 

Because they are mini and only clock in at 58 calories a pop (without the streusel topping), you can have two or three and still be guilt-free. I used this recipe but made some substitutions as I always do. 


I used a streusel topping for only half the muffins because I wanted some without. It definitely adds a little something to them, but they are just as good without, if you ask me. 

Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from 'Oh She Glows'
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 egg whole + 1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Streusel topping: 1 tbsp, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp butter, 1 tsp flour

I call 'em my troops. 
Set oven to 375 degrees F. 

Directions: Combine the milk and vinegar in a cup and set aside. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon) in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients (milk and vinegar combo, eggs, oil, yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract) in another smaller bowl. Combine the wet with the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the blueberries. 

For the streusel topping: combine the ingredients and distribute among half the muffins. 

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden and a knife inserted comes out clean. 

Nutrition Info
Per mini muffin
Calories: 58 
Carbs: 10g
Fiber: 1.3g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 1.8g

I can imagine these would be fabulous slathered with a bit of peanut butter too. Or crumbled on top of yogurt and fruit. 

1 comment:

My awesome followers!