Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Lentil Walnut Loaf

This lentil walnut loaf I made from Angela's blog, Oh She Glows, is delicious and very healthy. It takes a while to put together but it's worth it. I can't wait to have some leftovers for lunch! And my trusty recipe-taster girlfriend S agreed that it's a hit. If you're looking for a beautiful and impressive vegan main course to bring along to a potluck this holiday season, this one is definitely it.

I modified the recipe only very slightly by
* removing the olive oil and using vegetable broth instead
* and subbing the glaze for store-bought barbecue sauce as I didn't have apple butter.
For the recipe just head here.

I also calculated the nutrition content for one serving. The loaf makes 8 thick slices.



Nutrition Information
1 slice
Calories: 258 kcal
Total fat: 9.0 g
Sat. fat: 1.1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 441mg
Total carbs: 36g
Fiber: 11g
Protein: 12.3g
Calcium: 7.5%
Iron 19%

Notice the 12g protein for a slice- for all you out there who still ask vegetarians, 'where do you get your protein from?'. I did a little research online and traditional beef meatloaf has about:
215 calories
14g fat
5.4g sat. fat
70g cholesterol
20g protein
0 fiber



So not only is traditional meatloaf giving you a whopping serving of cholesterol and saturated fat, but it isn't giving you any fiber, which is crucial for maintaining your weight, keeping you full and proper digestion.

This goes great with a side salad or sautéed kale and loads of extra barbecue sauce. My favorite is 'Bone Suckin' Sauce' from Whole Foods.

* Had to add, insanely better the next day! Seriously, yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My awesome followers!